Saturday, November 1, 2008

qual que volta mi piace Roma un peu

Being back in Rome is slightly depressing because it has been raining a lot everyday and the people are still unfriendly and Rome is not Istanbul.  Right now there is some political unrest in italy because the government is trying to privatize public education and cut lots and lots of funding to public schools. There have been massive protests or manifestazioni but most of the people at them sit on the ground in nice clothes and smoke cigarettes. Walking around piazza del popolo and down via del corso the other day was nearly impossible because of all the protesters. 

Last night I braved the rain and went out dancing with some friends at Circolo degli Artisti (circle of artists) it was lots of fun and some people dressed up for halloween. They played weirdo american music but there were not too many americans there. Today is a holiday (all souls day) so everything is closed. 

I'm a little sad to be away from the United States now after watching youtube videos of what Philly looked like after the Phillies won. I don't even care about sports really but I feel like I missed something important. Plus it would have been exciting to see a bonfire in the middle of broad street. 

Also being abroad for the election is kind of odd. The whole world is obsessed with who is going to win this election. Everytime I admit to being American while I'm here I am immediately asked if I voted for Obama or McCain. Sometimes I get extra apples from the apple vendor for answering Obama. 

No comments: